Welcome and Thank you to Flo and staff for set up of facility and for snacks
Guests: Bill Jones (Democratic Primary candidate for TN Senate), Joe Mike Akard (Democratic Party Leader), Larry Hall (Chair of Sullivan County Democrats)
- Hard worker, dedicated, financial expert-CPA, served in the Army and Air Force, auditor for DOD-contract oversight
- Offers a close look at Tennessee’s money and budget wisely
- Emphasize education and jobs-High tech and can’t be exported; small business (see VA, Boucher-high tech, broadband, infrastructure
- Why running? Change in TN leadership; Ramsey seems blind and deaf to NE TN—Lt. Governor, which gives prestige, but that doesn’t help us
- Taxes-get what is owed to the state and everyone pays their fair share
- Efficiency in state government
- Goal: positive leadership change and diverse economy
If TN adopted a state income tax, can the tax be deducted from my federal income tax? Yes
Why, when we have a Democratic governor, is TN in an economic crunch? The governor came into a bad situation. TN must have a balanced budget and the governor has tried to get control of spending. There was a good business cycle when he came into office. When the US borrowed money for Iraq, the value of the dollar went down. We are in an economic downturn. Layoffs and cutbacks effect the whole economy. Since the state relies upon a sales tax for revenue and that is down, the state has to cut back too.
Do you have the nerve to tackle implementing an income tax? That’s a tough call. He would not start that move, but he would support a graduated income tax. Right now corporations often pay no taxes. The TN General Assembly can stop this making the corporations combine income and statements for a financial statements and pay excise taxes. Corporations avoid paying living wages by employing people part-time at low wages and no healthcare.
Minutes from April Meeting, Kitty Hegemann: Adopt with change in Sunflower Festival to July 26
Treasurer’s Report, Carole Mauldin (Absent)
- The Billboard Update; $130 down: $725 due at end of August for billboard to be posted in Oct.
- Events to participate in: Sunflower Festival – July 26; Fiddler’s Convention – Aug. 24; & Cranberry Festival – Oct. 11th – Still need participants for all the festivals. Please consider helping out.
- The Pumpkin Festival-October 17-19 (Further discussion needed)
- Just two more Voter Registrations; June 21- needs one to help me for 9:00 – 12:00-FC; Aug. 30th in front of Fred’s (our last) is taken care of
- Sign up for LTE’s for July, August, September, and October (Ina Bellamy-July, Louise Hamm-?)
- Memorial Day Wreath-$60
- Two elections this fall: Aug. 7th – Local; registration deadline July 8; Nov. 4th – National; registration deadline Oct. 6.
- Letters to the Editor: Louise Shoen- Environment; Kitty H. – Healthcare- Need more participants
- See minutes on back for information regarding the August ballot
- Now that we have a candidate, we need to start publicly supporting him in any way we can. I hope all of you have ordered your bumper stickers. I am presently trying to get yard signs.
- Program – Message from Dem. Primary Candidate for State Senator – Bill Jones from Kingsport (see above)
Next Meeting : July 12
- Another Candidate presentation: Rob Russell, Democratic Primary candidate for US House of Representatives 1st District
- Snacks: July-Romayne St. John and Karin Bell, August-Kathleen Gehr and Louise Hamm, September-Ina Bellamy and Wanda Payne
Adjourn: 11:45 am
Submitted by: Katherine Hegemann, June 19, 2008