Democratic Women Meeting Minutes, May 10, 2008
Welcome and Thank you to Flo and staff for set up of facility and for snacks
Minutes from April Meeting, Kitty Hegemann (Approved)
Treasurer’s Report, Carole Mauldin—Balance $810.58, Billboard $375.00 (Approved)
- Two new women joined us: Louise Shoen and Margaret Westphal
- Memorial Day Wreath--$60.00
- The Billboard Update—Set up fee $130.00 is due
- Events to participate in: Sunflower Festival – July 26; Fiddler’s Convention – Aug. 24; Cranberry Festival – Oct. 11
- Sent around sign-up sheet today for both voter registration and event booths
- Event and Voter Registration Sign Up—The Voter Registration in April was a success. Registration for the August election closes July 8 until after the August 7 election. The July 26 voter registration drive is cancelled because it might confuse voters.
- Need Precinct/ District Chairs for each voting district – to be in charge of calling and going door to door – be thinking about who would be good
- Sign up for LTE’s for April, May, June, July, August, September, and October
- Enter names for Precinct Chair possibilities
- Republican Women want us to do Civics Education(Flag Etiquette) with young people through school system. I would rather do Constitution Week – September 17- 25 We the People – What are the basic beliefs contained in the Preamble to the Constitution?
- The August General Election ballot will be for Property Assessor countywide; for two school board members for the 2nd Educational District, which is Mountain City, Forge/Shouns, Trade and Neva; and for 5 or 6 vacancies on various statewide judicial offices (State Supreme Court, etc.) We don't yet have all those. There were three; now there are five, and it will be sometime in June before we know exactly who and how many. What is significant to Johnson County is Property Assessor and School Board.
- In addition, there will be a Democratic Primary and a Republican Primary for Congress, United States Senate, State Representative and State Senator. Incumbents are David Davis, Lamar Alexander, Jason Mumpower and Ron Ramsey. Winners of the Primaries, along with any Independent Candidates will be on the ballot November 4th, along with the Presidential Nominees and Independent Candidates.
- PROGRAM: In absence of Bobbie and Evelyn, Wanda provided a packet of information relative to the campaign. These information might be used to pen an LTE. Divided into six groups, looked over information, and shared talking points.
Next Month, June 14 :
- Bobbie Smith will present program on each candidate’s stand on the war.
- Membership will finalize Precinct Chair List
- Public Relations will finalize sign up sheets
- Who will do snacks in June?
Adjourned: 11:14 am