Regular Monthly Meeting
Saturday, February 10, 2007
Meeting called to order: 10:05 am
Present: Karin Bell, Swan Chatfield, Evelyn Cook, Kay Ferraro, Belinda Gelman, Sharon Hughes, Lydia Lewis, Carole Maulden, Theona McQueen, Kathleen Mount, Wanda Payne, Anne Perry, Reba Robinson, Romayne St. John, Kathy Terrill, Terry Thompson, Evelyn Walsh, Judy Walsh
Carole Maulden read the minutes from January 20, 2007. Romayne St. John motioned that the minutes be approved, with Karin Bell seconding. The motion carried.
Treasurer reported a bank balance of $174.19, with dues coming in to increase that balance.
Evelyn Cook spoke to the group regarding several matters:
- The By-Laws need further reviewing and that will be done at a later meeting.
- Attendance at the meetings is crucial – “if everyone does a little, then no one person has to do a lot.”
- The committees are the backbone of the organization. A brief description of each committee was given so that new members could choose.
- A committee for putting together a history of the Democratic Party in Johnson County would be good. Darlene Atwood has access to information, Evelyn Walsh is a valuable source for anecdotes and Terry Thompson could provide information from the archives.
Evelyn Cook asked if there was any new business. There being none, she turned the floor over to Lydia Lewis.
Lydia Lewis introduced Judy Walsh, who gave a presentation on Nancy Pelosi, the Speaker of the House:
- Nancy Pelosi is the first woman to hold the position.
- The position is second in line to the Presidency.
- Nancy Pelosi is a strong advocate of civil rights, education and environmental & conservation issues. She is a champion of the underdog.
Evelyn Cook presented the idea of a program on the candidates and the group agreed that would be a good idea.
The group separated into committees:
- Membership Committee
New members Sharon Hughes and Kathleen Mount
Darlene Atwood appointed as Vice-chairman.
Suggested participation in The Tomahawk’s “Progress Addition”. Wanda Payne arranged photo shoot for Friday, February 16 at the Methodist Church on Church Street.
- Program and Social Committee
New members Anne Perry, Theona McQueen, Reba Robinson
Lydia Lewis appointed Vice-chairman.
March 10th meeting: Publicity and Public Relations Committee
April 14th meeting: Judy Walsh-Roles of the political parties
May 12th meeting: Candidate program.
- Publicity and Public Relations
New members Belinda Gelman, Karin Bell, Kathy Terrill, Kay Ferraro
Kay Ferraro appointed Vice-chairman.
Brochure will present Democratic Party history which will then focus on Democratic Women.
Asked group to bring to the next meeting some item of information about the Johnson Co. Democratic Party
Adjourn: 11:05 am
Respectfully Submitted: Carole Maulden
Date: February 13, 2007